This Georgian rectory in the Cotswolds is an historic property. In the late 1800’s the Reverend Edward Litton lived here, and was sometimes visited by his friend from Oxford, Charles Dodgson - better known as Lewis Carroll. It is said that Litton's daughter, Alice, was the inspiration for the heroine of 'Alice in Wonderland'.
The River Windrush borders the property and the former water garden, choked with weeds and self-sown willows, was excavated and the piecemeal landscaping replaced with simple riven stone paving and dry-stone walling. Lush marginal planting now surrounds a generous area of clear water that reflects the building.
The canal garden was simplified. Plain diamond-cut paving adds a level of refinement to the landscaping, while the new dry-stone walls are punctured with arrow slots lined in green oak to allow views through to the garden spaces on either side.
A new Southern terrace takes its footprint from the proportion of the house, and is designed for evening entertaining since it gets the last of the summer sunshine. The planting consists of upright vertical flowering perennials colour-themed in shades of blue, white and purple, which are set off by the horizontal planes of clipped box, which repeat the proportion of the façade and add formality and structure to the plantings.
A new swimming pool, lined with tiles chosen to match the stone roof of the house, is set discreetly within a newly planted orchard with panels of wildflowers and mown grass.
Images © Nicola Browne & Dan Pearson Studio
2003 - ongoing